Friday, June 7, 2013

Real Talk

This is a place where I can be real, honest, and tell it like it is.  I write to express my feelings and to have a place where Brenna can come at a future time to reflect on what we have been through and see memories of her daddy.


So today, I am just keeping it real and writing from my heart.

This morning I walked upstairs to make sure Brenna was in the shower.  I got half way up and heard her sweet voice.  She was in the shower singing 10,000 Reasons by Matt Redman.  It stopped me in my tracks. I heard her sing the chorus:

Bless the Lord, O my soul
O my soul
Worship His holy name
Sing like never before
O my soul
I'll worship Your holy name

Praise Jesus for being in her heart.  I sat down on the stairs, listened, and cried. I thanked God for this sweet child.  I thanked Him for being who she is turning to.  I thanked Him for putting this song in her heart and not some hoochie momma song (keeping it real, friends, keeping it real).  It blessed me in so many ways.

Brenna and I are both in grief counseling.  Brenna will be attending a grief camp for kids at the end of July.  It has come highly recommended by many people over the past month.  We had a meeting last night to meet the counselors and Brenna could meet some of the kids she will be going to camp with.  This is an amazing organization that I am blessed we have available to us.  She was excited to hear about all of the fun things they have planned as well as meet the kids who have experienced loss as well.  She immediately found two kids her age and in the same grade.  What a blessing.  He always shows up, doesn't He?!?  As I walked inside where the parents were to go, Jesus lead me to sit beside two new friends who have experienced loss over the past year.  These ladies touched me immediately and I hope to be able to get to know them more.  

This is Jesus, friends.  He never leaves our side.  He puts us right where we belong.

When I walked out to get Brenna, I ran into two more friends.  One I knew from my childhood and one I know through a mutual friend.  Both are counselors at the camp where she will be attending.  I could not believe it when I saw them.  Sweet, sweet friends.

Again, Jesus always shows up.

We left the meeting to go to a friend's 40th birthday dinner.  Many of my friends turn 40 this year or next.  Over the past few months, we have all been talking about how we are going to celebrate this big milestone birthday.  We've talked parties, trips, etc.  Last night as we sang Happy Birthday to this sweet friend, tears were rolling down my eyes remembering Jamey will not be here with me to celebrate my 40th birthday (or his).  It stung as reality came crashing down.  

Have you taken Jamey's challenge?  Who have you told today that you love them?  What compliments have you given?  

Happy Friday, friends.

0 comments: