Thursday, July 25, 2013

Camp Good Grief - Day 3

Wednesday was the final day of camp.  I am sad for it to be over and I know Brenna had a great time.  She got to meet a lot of new friends and have a lot of fun over the course of three days!

Schedule for Day 3 included:

*  Bus ride back to the camp site
*  Small group grief sessions
*  Canoeing/arts and crafts/water games
*  More small group grief sessions
*  Memorial Service (more on that in a minute)
*  Swimming
*  Parent/Guardian/Family Program

Day 3 was loaded with lots of fun, and lots of memory time as well.  I was able to attend the parent program that was held in the afternoon.  I got to see the things they worked on and focused on during the three days. They learned it was ok to be mad, angry, sad, and cry because it is good for the soul.

I needed to hear this!

They sang a song that was really cute.  It was to the tune of "Do Ya Love Me?" (Think the movie, Dirty Dancing), but changed to be Camp Good Grief style).

Some of the lyrics included:

Do ya love me?  (I can really move.)  Do ya love me?  (I'm in the groove.) Do ya love me?  (Do ya love me?) Now that I can grieve.  Watch me now.

(Work, work!)  Gotta work it out baby.  (Work, work!) or it'll drive you crazy.
(Work, work!)  With all your heart and soul, now work.

It's ok to be angry (I am throw potatoes)
But don't lose control (Don't use your fist)
I can cry if I want to (Tell me baby!)
Cause it's good for the soul (Can you grieve like this?)

(Work, work!)  Gotta work it out baby.  (Work, work!) or it'll drive you crazy.
(Work, work!)  With all your heart and soul, now work.

I can write it in a letter.  (I can write it in a poem.)
I can sing it in a song.  (In a song like this.)
I can tell it to a friend.  (Tell me baby.)
Talk all night long.  (Can you grieve like this?)
Tell me, tell me, tell me.  Yeah!

The whole group singing it was so cute and the lyrics are so true.

Memorial Service
I had to ask Brenna to tell me about the memorial service.  She was not forthcoming about it, but did talk about it when I asked what it was about.  She said that she got to write a letter to her mom and dad.  She rolled it up, attached it to a yellow balloon, and released it off to Heaven for them to read.

Tears.

The purpose of this activity is to give the kids closure.  Many of them, like Brenna, did not get an opportunity to tell their loved one good-bye.  Their death was so sudden and unexpected.  This gives them an opportunity to tell them what they want to tell them and send it off to Heaven for them to hear.  Only the campers and their counselors were present at this service.  No parents were allowed.  This gave the kids a chance to do it in their own way.

What a memory.

There are many, many things that I have learned through this experience.  What a blessing.  I am sure that it was harder for me than it was for her, but I believe that it was the perfect camp for her.

I promised pictures....so here ya go:



She got to create a memory box and decorate it with "Always remember to..." stickers



YES HE WAS!


This is her kaleidoscope....
I just remembered I did not take a picture of her Dream Catcher.  I will try to remember that and post.

What an amazing experience she had at Camp Good Grief.  I am not sure if this is available in your area, but if ever in need, please look to see.  It is a wonderful way to help kids learn to grieve the right way.  I pray that Brenna is on a path to healing.  She will continue with counseling and will continue to see the amazing staff at the Center for Good Grief.  I am forever thankful for the opportunity she was given to attend such an amazing camp.

God bless this organization!

1 comments:

Ginnie Geater said...

I love that she hand wrote "Love"!!! One simple word, yet so powerful, so meaningful and so Brenna! With a heart the size of Texas!!!