Monday, May 27, 2013

Just an Ordinary Wednesday Night - Our Engagement Story

Again, from our wedding website:
*************************************

How we got engaged

Jamey and I had talked about a future together, even started thinking about when the big day may happen.  We talked about rings in a general sense (white gold or platinum versus yellow gold), but that was all.  He told me he was looking at a particular designer but we never got into specifics! 
On Wednesday, April 20, 2011, I was looking at the designer's website.  I had never really thought about the style of engagement ring I would want, so I thought I should get an idea of what was out there.  The site had an 'engagement quiz' you could take that would select the perfect ring for you based on your personality.  I took the quiz and the site popped out the most gorgeous ring I have ever seen.  It was exactly what I would have chosen if I ever had the opportunity.
I wanted to send the picture to Jamey so he would have an idea of what I liked.  However, I was not sure if it was appropriate and was not sure if he would think I expected something so, ummm....large.  I, of course, did not expect that, but the style was certainly, me!  I sat on that email for probably an hour going back and forth on whether to send it or not.  Finally, I did.  I put in the email that I would take a ring out of a gum ball machine for him.  It did not matter if the ring was no carats or 10 carats....if I had him, that was enough!
Jamey got the email and replied back that it was a gorgeous ring and he wanted me to know he could afford a premium gum ball machine ring for me!  I'm a lucky girl!
On the way home from work I was talking to Ginnie.  We were catching up on things happening in both our lives and the latest with Jamey.  I was telling her about discussions we had about a possible wedding when she stopped me.  She said, "When is he going to make it official and put a ring on your finger?".  I laughed it off and said I didn't know but thought maybe sometime in the summer, maybe while we are at the beach.  She said, "Or it could be just an ordinary Wednesday night!".  
We already had plans to have dinner that night.  It was pouring rain so I thought we would go somewhere close.  Jamey wanted to go where we had intended to go, Bonefish (another one of my favorite restaurants).  We got to Bonefish and it was an hour and a half wait.  We decided to walk over to Firebirds to see what the wait was there.  Only 20 minutes!  Perfect.  While waiting on a table, I asked Jamey about the picture I emailed.  He said it was very pretty.  What I wanted to make sure he knew was that I like square diamonds and not round diamonds.  I thought round diamonds made my fingers look fat...and he needed to know that!  I looked up at him and told him, "I'm a square diamond girl, just so you know!".  He shook his head and said, "Great!  Good to know!".
We had dinner, good conversation, etc.  Nothing out of the ordinary.  After dinner, Jamey went to the restroom and when he returned, I did the same.  When I got back, he said he had just ordered dessert.  I was stuffed but was happy he ordered one for us to share.  About a minute later, the restaurant manager comes to the table with our dessert and a ring box on the tray.  
He puts the tray on the table and my eyes about popped out of my head.  I gasped for air as he starts saying some of the sweetest things (some I remember, some I don't).  I hear him ask me to marry him and make him the luckiest guy in the world.  I said, YES!!  
The restaurant erupts and applauds!
Did I mention I told Jamey once that I love surprises?  He is a good listener!
Ginnie was the first person we called.  When she answered, I started the conversation with, Or just an ordinary Wednesday night!"  


She screamed!  
And, she knew nothing about the proposal!
This ordinary Wednesday night became extraordinary!!!
And, by the way, the ring is almost exactly like the one I sent him in email!  He is just good like that!
What I didn't know:
  • God has the perfect timing.  The proposal happened the Wednesday before Easter weekend.  We already planned on having our families meet Easter weekend.  His family was coming up from Alabama to go to church with us and have brunch at the place where we wanted to have our wedding.  Being officially engaged made the weekend even more perfect for the families to come together at the place where we are going to have our wedding!
  • Jamey picked up my ring 7 minutes before he got my email with the picture of the ring
  • The proposal was not planned.  When Jamey got my email, he just knew tonight was the night.

2 comments:

Ginnie Geater said...

I feel so honored to have been a small part of your amazing night! I still remember every moment of it...the car ride home talking, you pushing off the crazy idea that Jamey could propose so soon, and of course the scream with the second call. I had to run into my room so that I didn't wake SK. I also remember asking to talk to Jamey and asking if he was going to take care of you. He said, "absolutely!" I could hear the love in his voice even then! And I could see the smile on your face, beaming from ear to ear.

kimberly t. bowling said...

Sweet story!! So, so Jamey to have it orchestrated so well for just an ordinary Wednesday night! And sweet Tippa, that same awesome God who joined you together in the brightest of days is still right beside you in this darkness as well. In fact he has a special angel smiling so big on you even now.